Monday, October 7, 2013

Mental Health Improved Through Simple Body Actions

Ever noticed people who are slouching while they walk seem much more unhappier then those who walk upright? 


Studies have discovered that people can have a more happy disposition simply by moving to a more upright posture. This originated from San Francisco State University researchers who looked at how happy people were after slouching and skipping.

Slouching in Society 



Arguably, people seem to be slouching a lot more today then ever before. This I believe can be attributed to the level of comfort now available and our overall laziness today. Even now I am writing this from the comfort of my couch, legs kicked up slouching comfortably on this beautiful feeling couch.

Keeping an eye out during the week I have spotted a rare few who sat or walked in a more upright position then others. From my experience the majority of these tended to be older females as well as those of ethnic descent.

This may be because they grew up with an emphasis on the important of posture (Possibly not in the sense that it makes you happy but because it is expected by society).

Maybe today people are more unhappy with their lives because they slouch more, we are seeing more people diagnosed with depression every day. Can we not combat depression by sitting and walking more upright? I say why not, simple small changes everyday could vastly improves someone disposition and mental health.


Improve your Health!!

Running a few simple tests on myself I have noted some additional benefits to not slouching.

1. Your mind becomes more active and productive

My usual posture of slouching down saw my production towards finishing an assignment or even writing up a blog post as very slow going. I would frequently get side tracked by social media, games, videos the whole lot.
However while sitting more upright I become a lot more focused and productive. Getting a lot more done and arguably even having it of a higher quality then normal.

2. Feels good on the body.

Shoulders back seems to stretch out my usual slouched back, which feels amazing in itself. Physically it feels great and mentally I am believing that it is good for my back, posture and now even my overall positive disposition towards the day.

3. Become a lot more approachable

With crossed arms body slouched I must appear more of a closed off person and difficult for people to talk too. Whereas this openness of good posture and an open body language seems to get more people friends and even those I have never met before alike to socialize more with me.



Comment on your own observations, whether it be yourself or others who appear to have or bad posture and their overall attitude. Do we think that people are actually more lazier today which has resulted in more slouching and closed off body language?

Related External Links: http://health.ninemsn.com.au/family/familyhealth/8559355/change-how-you-sit-to-feel-happy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2228003/Sit-cheer-Slouching-making-sad-study-shows.html

No comments:

Post a Comment